pest control cockroaches

cockroaches infestations

Cockroaches and silverfish among 10 hygiene fails

COCKROACHES, silverfish insects and black mould were all found in the kitchen area of a major Scottish hospital during a random check.

The kitchen area of the Western General in Edinburgh – one of the country’s major cancer treatment centres – was judged to be an “ideal habitat” for cockroaches.

And following the inspection, the hospital was marked as ‘Improvement Required’ by Food Standards Scotland.

The check was carried out in April this year but has only now been revealed following a Freedom of Information request.

Disturbingly, the cockroaches were discovered just two years after the same insects were discovered in the kitchen at the same hospital.

The full report from the inspection noted a total of ten contraventions of Food Standards Scotland regulations.

Other issues highlighted included flaking walls, dirty chopping boards and damp plaster.

The report reads: “The design, construction, sitting and size of the boxed in space behind the kitchen dishwashing machine is causing the formation of condensation and undesirable mould on the surfaces.

“The lack of ventilation and heat/ moisture from hot pipes is creating an ideal habitat for cockroaches. 2 dead German cockroaches were seen inside.”

It continues: “Silver fish insects were seen at the radiator in the hall outside the catering offices.”

“The ceiling at the extraction fan above the kitchen dishwasher was affected with black mould growth.”

The report also notes: “The walk-in freezer has been clad internally in stainless steel. Ice is building up between the wooden door frame and the cladding. Condensation is causing mould growth.

“There was no access to the pest control computer database and no recent records of pest control visits were available.

“The walls of the staff tea kitchen were damp and plaster was flaking off.”

The report added: “Some wall tiles in the dish wash area were cracked.

“Some chopping boards (mainly green) were badly scored and difficult to clean.

“Dust is accumulating on the cable/ gas conduit runs in the centre of the main cooking range. Adequate cleaning is not being undertaken. This could fall into food being cooked in close proximity.”

The report concluded: “The mobile wash hand basin unit at the canteen severy was not provided with paper towels for hand drying and as it is in a hidden position did not appear to be used.”

Silverfish are small wingless objects that consume household objects such as carpet, clothing, coffee, dandruff, glue, hair, paper, plaster, and sugar to survive.

They can live for over a year without eating, and thus, eradicating them from households often proves difficult.

The term “black” mould is often used to refer to the Stachybotrys species of mould.

It can cause respiratory problems such as chronic coughing, and irritation of the throat, along with headaches and eye soreness.

The report recommends that a “pest control contractor must survey and treat areas out with food handling areas to protect food areas from pests.

“The ceiling requires to be suitably cleaned and painted.”

It also states that the area behind the dishwasher should be “opened up and kept clean like the rest of the kitchen. Alternatively light and ventilation could be introduced into this long thin room.”

George Curley, Director of Facilities, NHS Lothian, said: “We take food hygiene and safety extremely seriously and have robust processes in place to maintain high standards across all of our premises.

“Following this unannounced inspection in April immediate actions were taken to address each of the issues it raised. We have improved the environment around the boxed in area at the back of the dishwasher and our pest control contractor, who carries out regular monitoring, has increased its surveillance.

“Our catering staff carry out daily hygiene inspections and follow strict cleaning regimes which are checked and signed off by site management on a daily basis.

“We have taken the outcome of this report extremely seriously and further enhanced our already stringent procedures to maintain high levels of cleanliness across all of our kitchens.”

The Western General Hospital houses around 570 in-patients and is one of Scotland’s leading breast cancer treatment centres. It recently became home to a £1.35 million facility for young cancer patients, aged 16 to 24.

Want to be cockroach free? Get in contact with ACES pest control

By Callum Mason

blank

cockroach INFESTATION Epsom Auckland

Thousands of cockroaches invade Auckland

David and Philippa Gravatt say they have caught 2000 cockroaches around their Epsom property this summer.

A war has broken out in Auckland and there have been thousands of casualties.

Cockroaches  invading David and Philippa Gravatt's Epsom property for the past three summers.

Every night David sets about six traps around his Albury Rd house and wakes to find them covered in hundreds of cockroaches.

David and Philippa Gravatt have tried all sorts of methods to get rid of the roaches.

David says the average nightly haul is 120 roaches. This summer's total has nearly reached 2000.

 

Thousands of cockroaches infest Auckland

"We've had thousands this summer, literally thousands," he says.

"I put bait out where the cockroaches are and then go back 10 minutes later and see 20 or 30 of them, just like that."

Philippa says their neighbors are having similar problems, with one couple finding a cockroach in their baby's bed.

"The problem now is they are all coming into the house," she says.

"You'd just be sitting there watching telly and something would move so then you'd spend the next 10 minutes trying to catch them."

The Gravatts have traps in their attic, bathroom, by their dishwasher and around their house.

"We had two families out one night with rolled up newspapers and tape, belting the hell out of them and we didn't even make a dent in them," Philippa says.

Philippa noticed the problem three years ago when she was out walking her dogs at night.

"There were all these insects running round like baby mice all over the footpath and down the hill," she says.

"There were literally thousands and they were coming out of the sewer lid in the middle of the road."

David shone a torch down the sewer and was horrified to see it full with cockroaches.

A Watercare spokesperson says they have been contacted twice by Albury Rd residents about the issue.

"Each time we flushed the wastewater pipes and Auckland Council's environmental health team arranged for the cockroach extermination," the spokesperson says.

"If the access point is a manhole or public pipe, we will employ a bug extermination company to treat or seal the access."

Watercare has arranged another "courtesy flush" of the Albury Rd pipes.

Cockroaches have been invading David and Philippa Gravatt's Epsom property for the past three summers.

An Epsom couple say they have caught 2000 cockroaches around their property this summer.

want to be cockroach free? get in contact with ACES pest control

ELESHA EDMONDS